Feed IconFlickr IconYouTube IconTwitter IconFollow Priory Fine Pastries on PinterestFacebook Icon
Join Our Email Club

Pittsburgh’s Favorite Bakery
In the Heart of Deutschtown
.

In the mid-1880s, on the current site of Priory Fine Pastries, a teenage Irish immigrant, David Lytle Clark launched the D.L. Clark Candy Company with $1,000 in capital. By 1890, his manufacturing had outgrown this North Side location and he relocated to McKeesport where his family had a dairy. During its peak, the Clark Candy Company manufactured daily nearly 2 million Clark Bars,  6 million sticks of gum and more than 150 products including its infamous five cent candy bar. Its signature Clark bar was developed in 1917 to meet the demand of U.S. soldiers for candy in World War I. At his death in 1939, David L. Clark left $1.2 million dollars to eleven area hospitals, including our neighbor Allegheny General. Not since Mr. Clark left this East Ohio location in 1890 had this property been used for manufacturing.
.
As founders of The Priory Hotel and Pittsburgh’s Grand Hall at the Priory, we purchased the building at 528 East Ohio Street in the National Register District of Deutschtown in 2003. The street had once been “Downtown” to Allegheny City – until the controversial election of 1906 resulted in the annexation of Allegheny City into Pittsburgh.
.
We were part of the local community council that wanted to see more retail stores available to serve the many new residents who were rehabilitating the historic homes of the neighborhood. We considered businesses that would help add to the uniqueness of the Priory Hotel and the Grand Hall banquet facility, as well as serve the local families and businesses and decided that a Bakery/Pastry shop was absent in the area – the nearest one was miles away.
.
We engaged a friend who was a retired third generation baker, with roots in Austria, to help us plan and build the bakery. George Mandl, the consultant, had owned and operated a bakery in Pittsburgh’s North Boroughs for many years and some of his recipes were still longingly remembered by his customers. His heritage and the Deutschtown heritage of the Swiss, German and Austrian immigrants of the area neatly intertwined.
.
The shop opened near the end of October, 2004 and quickly became a place where local residents can come for a good cup of coffee and pastries, and businesses can go for their large orders unique, delectable pastries, cookies and cakes.

Jim Lazeration joined Priory Fine Pastries as head baker in August, 2010. Jim, a Marion County, PA native, graduated from the Culinary Institute of Pennsylvania and has taken courses in wedding cake design and plated desserts at the Culinary Institute of America.

Before joining the staff at Priory Fine Pastries, Jim was Executive Pastry Chef at the Grand Concourse, Station Square, for five years as well as Executive Pastry Chef at Monterey Bay Fish Grotto, Mt. Washington, for seven years.

Jim makes almost every product at the bakery entirely from scratch and bakes fresh products daily including his specialty, carrot cake cupcakes

Over the past five years, we’re proud to say we’ve worked hard to keep the innovative, fun, tasty and charitable ways going on in the spirit of D.L. Clark and our own ancestors. Thank you for your support and friendship over the past five years.
.
Here’s to many more great years of creating sweet memories with you,
.
Mary Ann, Ed, Suzanne and John

The Graf Family
.
P.S.: Click here to read more about Priory Fine Pastries’ connection to the world famous confectioner D.L. Clark.
.

.

Back to Homepage

go back to the top